Acronis True Image Echo™ Provides Enhanced Backup and Recovery Capabilities; Supports IT Virtualization Cost Reduction Strategies
September 11, 2007, VMWorld, San Francisco, Calif. — Acronis, Inc. , a provider of affordable, scalable storage management and disaster recovery software, today announced Acronis True Image Echo™, the first application to enable IT managers to backup and restore both physical and virtual servers; competitive approaches use different programs to migrate to and from physical to virtual and virtual to physical systems. The product is being demonstrated this week at VMworld 2007 at the Moscone Convention Center in San Francisco, CA at Acronis booth #927.
Acronis True Image Echo™, the latest addition to Acronis’ portfolio of enterprise-class backup and recovery, migration and virtualization product families, integrates seamlessly with all Windows- and Linux-based servers, regardless of whether those servers are physical or virtual. Acronis also supports major virtualization operating systems such as VMware®, Microsoft®, XenSource®, SWsoft® and Parallels®.
Utilizing the Acronis Virtual Live Data Format to separate hard disk contents from the underlying file format and platform dependency, Acronis True Image Echo™ creates a transportable image, independent of the hardware platform that can be restored directly to and from any virtual or physical environment. This is accomplished in conjunction with Acronis Universal Restore, an add-on module to Acronis True Image Echo™.
Additional new features in Acronis True Image Echo™ include:
- VMDK support
- Event-driven backups
- Support for dynamic discs
- Wake on LAN
“The ratio of virtual servers to physical computers in our customers’ computing environments is growing fast,” said Walter Scott, CEO of Acronis “but this shift in technology is causing a management nightmare while IT staff learn how to blend physical and virtual technologies into a single computing infrastructure. Acronis True Image Echo™ provides the most comprehensive and affordable solution to the problem of creating, managing and protecting corporate data and applications, regardless of when or where the data was created.”
“Having a backup of a server is meaningless if we can’t recover it to any server, anywhere, at any time,” said Philip Woodson, information services analyst with Land O’Frost, the third largest specialty meat company in the United States. “With Acronis True Image Echo™, we have peace-of-mind knowing that we can restore our backup image to any physical or virtual machine anywhere quickly and easily in minutes, not hours or days. And since Acronis True Image Echo™ is scalable, it can grow with our company, both in our corporate headquarters and in our remote offices.”
“Mission-critical applications require established and tested policies and procedures to ensure high availability,” said Dave Russell, Vice President at Gartner, Inc. “While IT administrators need to adhere to best practices to ensure that applications run reliably, they also need to prepare for those occasions when servers will fail, due either to natural or man-made disasters. By following disaster recovery best practices, IT administrators can restore a transportable backup image rapidly, to new physical or to virtual machines, should a disaster occur.”
About Acronis True Image Echo™
The Acronis True Image enterprise product family, which includes versions for networked workstations, standalone Linux and Windows servers, and networked Windows and Linux servers, includes capabilities designed to improve IT disaster recovery:
- Restore to different hardware — Complete disaster recovery by ensuring that systems can be restored to any hardware or virtual machine
- Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) support — Back up your mission-critical applications, such as Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle, on a live server without taking them offline.
- 64-bit Windows support — Use one application for both new and old systems and software
- Remote, unattended restores with the Acronis bootable agent — Recover all systems in the network from one central location (for Enterprise Server and Workstation only)
- Boot from an image using Acronis Active Restore™ — Decrease downtime, start working immediately while the backup image is being restored
- Automatic image verification — Peace of mind by ensuring that images can be used for restoration
- Differential/incremental backups — Never lose data between full backups by creating interim backups
- File-based backups in addition to our traditional image-based backups — Flexible system protection
- Exclude files from backups — Capture only business data and save space in storage archives
- Windows Event Log and SNMP support — Facilitates administration by plugging into your existing network monitoring application
- Custom scripts before/after backups — Facilitate compliance with company-wide backup policies
- Throttling to control hard disk write speed, CPU usage, and network bandwidth usage — Minimize disruptions of business operations
- Create CDs with bootable images, PXE packages, and bootable recovery media ISOs — Eliminate the need to have separate recovery media and provide flexibility for application management
Acronis True Image Echo™ is currently in beta with customers throughout the world. It will be generally available for both Windows and Linux platforms early next quarter.
Acronis is a global provider of leading backup, disaster recovery, and secure file sharing and file access solutions. Founded in 2002 Acronis has established itself as a fast-growing international company with more than 700 employees in 18 countries and partners in almost every country in the world. Acronis provides complete, efficient and reliable backup solutions for desktop, server, virtual and cloud environments as well as leading file sharing and sync solutions for mobile devices.
Acronis knows backup. The proof is in the more than 50 advanced backup and recovery technologies developed to date. Over 4.5 million consumers, small and medium businesses and service providers employ Acronis products to protect their critical data.
The company’s flagship product Acronis Backup & Recovery delivers sophisticated technology solutions packaged in an easy-to-use way that allows smaller companies to address their new enterprise-level requirements. Enterprises also use Acronis solutions to address their point disaster recovery, migration and end-point backup needs.
Acronis® and the Acronis logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Acronis International GmbH in the United States and/or other countries.